As this month is dedicated to mental health, articles that explore this domain are essential to help us understand it better. This is why the first one we have ready for today explores the basics of it.
Mental wellness is a positive state of mental health. It is more than the absence of mental illness. Discover what being mentally well means, and how it can help you lead a fulfilling life.
Being mentally well means that your mind is in order and functioning in your best interest. You are able to think, feel and act in ways that create a positive impact on your physical and social well-being.
The Importance of Mental Wellness
Mentally well people are positive, self-assured, and happy. They are in control of their thoughts, emotions, and behavior. This enables them to handle challenges, build strong relationships, and enjoy life.
Achieving good mental health will enable you to:
· Realise your own abilities,
· Cope with the stress and challenges of life,
· Engage in productive work,
· Contribute to your community.
Sustaining mental health requires time and effort. The more you invest in your mental health, the stronger it will become.
Working Towards Mental Wellness
There are many ways you can enhance your mood, build resilience, and get more enjoyment out of life.
· Learn to be at peace with yourself
· Get to know who you are and what makes you happy
· Acknowledge what you can and cannot change about yourself
· Identify your abilities and weaknesses, accept them, build on them, and do the best with what you have
· Pay attention to your own needs and feelings
· Express your thoughts through a journal or blog to understand more about yourself
· Work towards your objectives
· Set SMART goals (Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-limited)
· Volunteer for a cause
· Being involved in the community gives a sense of purpose and satisfaction